Thursday, December 20, 2007

why? Oh! WHY?????????


Have I studied all these years ONLY to face the 2007-2008 Indian Certificate for Secondary Education exams? Do I really need that darned certificate to get my life on track??


However much I may wish to give a negative response to both those questions, I cannot honestly do so. For millions of the typical-students-who-are-not-genii, like me, this is the ONLY way to move ahead in life, the only way to secure a position in a prestigious college, and hence the only way to a good career.


WHY????? Why is it so? Do we have to face that nerve-wracking one year of torture to make our way out into the world? And what do you get after having crossed that obstacle? One year later ANOTHER nerve-wracking year of torture? So is mentally and emotionally draining each student the call of the hour? Maybe it would make some amount of sense if I felt that I was gaining something out of it, but I do NOT get that sense of satisfaction either. So doesn't that make my 10+2 years of education rather pointless??


Right from grade eight, we have continuously been hearing, "Study for the Boards, you need to do well in them!!". Why should I do well in them? If I get a 60% in the boards am I going to turn stupid overnight? I think I know my intelligence level better than some faceless examiner in some unknown place who has neither seen, nor worked with me ever! Is it right to judge a person's two years of work in approximately 2 hours and then deliver verdict on his(or her for that matter) capabilities?


Could anybody associated with the ICSE Board explain to me what happens if an extremely intelligent person falls ill during her boards? Does her immunity to diseases define her intelligence?? Since in this instance that certainly does seem to be the case!


Once you get over the fact that a Damocles sword IS going to hang over you by that single horse hair, you need to figure out what you should do to do well in those all important exams! I have, without much difficulty, understood the method! Learn you textbooks off by-heart!! Nobody, trust me, NOBODY cares whether what you have mugged up and vomited onto your answer paper has been understood by you. Its the answers that matter after all.............................How absolutely application based and student friendly!!


I have, therefore, reached a conclusion( not that it gives my much solace, but anyway)...........I must study, so I will. But our education system( how much ever one may praise it) to me is rather useless.

2 comments:

  1. i feel the same way abt the education system but.....face it....everyone ALREADY knows this....and they dont care a shit....all they want is for their own lives to flourish....noone cares for stuff to be right in this world nemore

    ReplyDelete
  2. blahdidah

    i have preboards in 10 days

    i couldnt care less

    i'm flunking

    ladidah!

    watchmeruinmylife!


    And you have my sympathy

    :)

    ReplyDelete