Friday, December 21, 2007

Home is where the ♥heart♥ is.................

I joined school on Childrens' Day. An unusual day by any means for a child to join school




I cried while joining school. I did not want to leave my old life behind.




I called my teachers Ma'am. I found the custom of calling teachers "Aunty" absolutely befuddling and hilarious at the same time.




I turned my snobby nose up at the name of the school, the small ground, the single building, the very few classmates I had............I was stupid at age 7. And at age 15, I still am.







But not everything is the same.





If I am crying now, it is because I cannot bear to leave that place I have called home for 9 long years. Did I say long years..............they seemed to have flown by on silver wings........




WHY? Why do we unconditionally love things, people, places that we Have to leave?





Now, I cannot help but call teachers Aunty. I cannot help but love the homely atmosphere. I cannot get used to any huge school with rambling grounds and a whole bunch of buildings. I cannot survive without my school………….I WISH!! The problem is that I will survive, and I will have to survive with that void inside me that was my school. That IS my school.



I have learnt what life is, in these two buildings. I have been molly-coddled and kept safe from the bitter world outside…………I have been chided and made to feel the effects of my wrong-doings.

I have made my best buddies here, learnt to defend myself and others……….had cat fights, acted childish……….acted mature and empathetic, realised my need for friends…………realised their worth…..


Sishu Griha is the place where I discovered myself, or more like others discovered me by patiently rubbing until through all the grime a little bit of shine was visible. It is the place where I put forth my all, and accepted both my shortcomings and talents.

It is that place where I had fun as well as shed many a bitter tear.

Sishu Griha is the place where I loved and was loved, fought and was hated, where I apologized and was forgiven, where I realised the meaning of true repentance and understood the nobility of the ability to forgive.


Sishu Griha is that place where I found adults in whom I could confide, I found peers whose advice I could take.





Sishu Griha is my home.


The place I have lived in and loved for nine whole years………..yes it’s called a “child’s home”…..how apt that name is!





I wish that I was still a fledgling being fed by its mother instead of a full grown bird that must open out her wings and fly out. I wish I could hold on to these ties like a child holds on to his mother’s dress. Wish I could have just one month more…..one week more…….even a day of the same joyfulness without the agonizing pangs of parting…..But No! I guess it is a paradox of life……..we must lose what we treasure most………and to me, this place is dearer than my official residence……







Maybe I should consider going through life as a cold, heartless brute………..at least my heart wouldn’t break…..









They say “home is where the heart is”…………….then shouldn’t I stay on in school??

4 comments:

  1. Amazing piece,nin.
    I could feel every bit coming straight from your heart :)
    I'm gonna miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does everyone write about school? It depresses me! I know EXACTLY how it feels to leave a place you've made home for ten whole years. :(

    Cherish these days. They are the best, no one dare deny that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. annindita wat u hv written is really touchin dude, i almost cried..... it's very true dat things dat v treasure d most need 2b let go faster..... dats r scool...sishu griha....... i'll miss u n d gr8, funfilled days v hv had 2gether in scool.
    lv, shilpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful write up!!!!!!and i meant to use the word beautiful....its REALLY touching...really reaches out to me(an evry1 else i suppose)...were u relli a snob wen u were young??
    im gonna miss evry1 so much...im fucking scared!!! terrified!!!also sad...sigh...buh-bye....for the comment AND FOR school...

    ReplyDelete